Monday, May 2, 2011

Freedom ain't free!

In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved.  ~Franklin D. Roosevelt

I feel like it would be silly of me to talk about what I did this weekend considering the events of yesterday..and by that I mean the discovery that Osama Bin Laden was killed FINALLY! SO instead I'm going to talk about that..




September 11, 2001 I was a Sophomore in high school watching from my homeroom in horror. Although it affected me then as it should anyone who witnessed the devastation of that day I'm not sure I fully grasped the magnitude of it all until years later; even before I went to New York and saw with my  own eyes the emptiness that surrounds the World Trade. I grew up in a family full of military men and women so pride has been instilled in me since a very young age but has definitely increased since that day! I know there are people on both sides of the war..and I won't get into all that..because this isn't about whether or not you support it..this is about all those lives lost on 9/11 &  the lives that have been lost since then. Did I celebrate last night? Yes I did! I cried tears of relief thinking of the survivors, the ones that were left without a spouse, a parent, a child, a friend and cried again wondering how they must feel...I read what seemed like hundreds of comments on both facebook and Twitter..some that angered me because they were so disrespectful!! Fine you don't like our president, fine you hate the war but really? What a great time for you to broadcast all that..I love this song by Darryl Worley because I wanted to ask those people that same question:


I do remember and I remember everyday the cost of freedom..I'm a history fan...I know what war has done to this country, for this country..and I know the sacrifice it takes...I celebrated his death and I'm not ashamed to say that because this was a man who celebrated ours! I watched as Americans gathered at the White House, the Trade Center and a new sense of pride came over me..I would love for this to bring peace to everyone but I'm not sure that it's possible..and I'm not sure whats to come but I do know that good finally prevail and I'm good with that! God Bless our troops, God Bless those men and women who lost their lives on September 11th and God Bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment