Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Mount Vernon

Saturday we went to Mount Vernon-the home & final resting place of George Washington. That thought did not escape me as we walked around his estate, as Lily ran around on what was once his lawn..what life must have been like when he owned it, what Mount Vernon looked like then..sure there are pictures and much of what belonged to him is still there, in tact(minus a few things that had to be refurbished) but to really BE there..I bet that was something! I think that is why I love History so much, the story behind every thing...every person..Mount Vernon is beautiful, it truly is the most majestic place..one fit for a president that is for sure..and my goodness the views of the river there, breathtaking! Check it out! :)


   

Why yes, I am changing Lily's diaper on the Bowling Green of George Washington's house! lol

Playing in the leaves while we waited in line to get into the Mansion

This little boy kept running and jumping into the leaves, and she thought it was just the funniest thing!
                             Part of the view behind the house..pictures do it no justice!

This really made me sad.. the Slave Burial Ground, there is said to be over 150 bodies located there..all in unmarked graves..heartbreaking to say the least...especially when you take into account the lavishness of George and Martha's grave site..


Lily with her Bop pa


Another view of the river...

Lily and I apple-roasting! So good!! Oh and p.s don't you hate when your sweater makes you look like you have 8,000 tummy rolls..ugh!

     The stables and the 8-sided barn(re-created to look like the original one George built) which by the way this is not near the house..it is kind of a walk..a lot of the workers(present day) were riding around on golf carts but could you imagine doing it on foot, or horse like back in the day..his property is well over 25,000 square miles!


:) In the hay maze with Bop pa!

My little love..who by the way picked out those pearls all by herself! Out of all the shiny things in my jewelry box, these are the ones she chose! :)

She was calling him like a dog..clapping her hands and saying "here dog"  Little does she know...ha ha



I could post a whole lot more..but I think these will do! :) I definitely recommend going to Mount Vernon..it a beautiful piece of American History worth checking out!

1 comment:

  1. Great photos. I definitely appreciate your post; at once history is both beautiful and also horribly ugly, it is so important to recognize both, Yay Tip, thanks!!
    I can't believe how big Lily is getting!I wish I were up there hopefully soon! Have fun trick or treating I can't wait for the photos!!

    ReplyDelete